Chrysler Corporation - Chrysler Town and Country Electrical Fire
We had a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country van.On May 25th 2011, while my wife was driving she detected an odor she described as "burnt caramel".
Within half a mile the vehicle started shuddering and the engine light came on. She pulled over to the side of the road and noticed smoke coming from the left side of the hood. When I arrived on the scene the fire department had the fire out. The car was towed to the local dealership.
On Friday May 27th, we heard from the USAA insurance adjuster saying that they were totaling the vehicle. I filed a complaint with Chrysler (case # 20900463). On June 1st, I received a call from Terry Dunham, a Chrysler Investigator, wanting to inspect the vehicle. I called USAA and found out that it had been towed to Copart Auto Salvage in Orlando, FL.
I relayed the information to Mr. Dunham. I never heard from him, so I called Chrysler on Saturday June 4th, and was told that a case manager would call us on Monday No one called, so I called them on Tuesday and was told that the claim was denied and that the case was closed and that we had been mailed a letter. We received the letter on, Friday June 10th, stating that the investigator had found "no indication that a manufacturing defect caused or contributed to the incident".
The vehicle had approximately 46,000 miles on it at the time of the fire. The only non routine maintenance done to the vehicle was replacing the battery in March 2009 and having the front brakes done in August 2009. The vehicles manufacturer's warranty had expired, but it was under an extended warranty that Chrysler's dealership (Advantage Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep) had sold us. I believe that companies name is Fidelity and the contract number 46530460 (who also declined any responsibility).
The last I knew, vehicles do not spontaneously combust without some kind of failure.We have since purchased a vehicle with the settlement money from USAA but it is an older vehicle that does not have the equipment and options we had on the Town and Country.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "It's a shame that Keystone claims a quality product and produces an inferior one. A big complaint (of many) I have are the tires they put on the so-called Luxury..."
- "I purchased a Jeep trailhawk on June 17th from Patterson Jeep in Kilgore, Texas. It was a dealer trade. This was the worst car buying experience I have ever had!..."
- "This is my brand new jayco pinnacle Rv bought in January 2015 it is also a 2015 Rv after one trip you can see how big the stress crack was..."
- "There is so many things wrong with this fifth wheel bought New 2013, Heartland Silverado 37QB. just to name a few window's leak framework is terrible screws were not..."
- "I am currently a college student, so I don't live at home, and can only make it home every few months, so when I was checking my bank statements from..."
- "BEWARE!! DO NOT BUY THEIR GARBAGE!! This is is horrible fake, lying, sham of a company!! They steal copyrighted photos of other designer's clothing that is not theirs..."
- "Roofer installed Ice & Water Shield UNDER Drip Edge thus directing water into soffit, should have been installed OVER Drip Edge! Roofer ONLY installed but one row of..."
- "I bought a bucket (large size) order of onion rings. This is what I got. No extras in the bottom of the bag just a ham an order ..."
- "I worked for Family Dollar three years and they have security cameras mounted all over the stores....cameras that are NOT monitored by anyone...and when someone does review the footage of..."